BEST DAY EVER By Kaira Rouda
I glance at my wife as she climbs into the passenger seat, and I am bursting with confidence. Today will be everything I’ve promised her…and more…
Paul Strom has the perfect life: a glittering career as an advertising executive, a beautiful wife, two healthy boys and a big house in a wealthy suburb. And he’s the perfect husband: breadwinner, protector, provider. That’s why he’s planned a romantic weekend for his wife, Mia, at their lake house, just the two of them. And he’s promised today will be the best day ever.
But as Paul and Mia drive out of the city and toward the countryside, a spike of tension begins to wedge itself between them and doubts start to arise. How much do they trust each other? And how perfect is their marriage, or any marriage, really?
Forcing us to ask ourselves just how well we know those who are closest to us, Best Day Ever crackles with dark energy, spinning ever tighter toward its shocking conclusion. In the bestselling, page-turning vein of The Couple Next Door and The Dinner, Kaira Rouda weaves a gripping, tautly suspenseful tale of deception and betrayal dark enough to destroy a marriage…or a life.
Top 10 Fun Facts about BEST DAY EVER
- Paul Strom, the protagonist, popped into my head while I was writing a different manuscript. He demanded to tell his story so I had no choice but to begin writing.
- BEST DAY EVER’s Lake Erie setting is a charming community called Lakeside. The pizza place where they have lunch, Sloopy’s, is a real spot and a favorite of my family’s.
- Like Paul, my husband drove a Ford Flex for a while. That’s where their similarities end.
- This book is my first big publisher, hardcover title. Up until now my novels have all been small press and self-published. It’s quite a different, amazing experience.
- The most exciting moment of the BEST DAY EVER book launch so far was walking into my local Barnes & Noble and seeing the book on the front table, called the octagon. A pinch me moment.
- A reader in the U.K., where the book published before the North American release, thought I was brilliant for coming up with such a creepy name for a lake. Lake Erie.
- Because of the BEST DAY EVER pre-launch and book tour I’ve had the chance to meet so many amazing women mystery and suspense authors. That has been the highlight of the experience.
- Some people may think BEST DAY EVER is Paul’s story. It’s not. It’s Mia’s.
- The entire novel takes place over a 24-hour time frame. I love time compression as a vehicle to accelerate tension. I hope it worked.
- BEST DAY EVER is very hard to talk about in interviews because if I say too much, I give the story away. It has been a fun balancing act.
Kaira Rouda is a USA TODAY bestselling, multiple award-winning author of contemporary fiction, including Here, Home, Hope, and The Goodbye Year. Kaira is also the author of Real You Incorporated: 8 Essentials for Women Entrepreneurs and the creator of Real Living, one of the nation’s most successful real estate brands and the first national women-focused brand in real estate. She now lives in Southern California with her family, where she’s lucky enough to write full time, and enjoys the beach whenever possible. Kaira’s latest novel, Best Day Ever, is one of the major launch titles for Harlequin’s new imprint Graydon House, and will be available on September 19, 2017.